Saturday, December 8, 2012

Sieves!

Our most recent problem set in Analytic Number Theory focused on sieves, so I have been thinking nothing except them. And this is true even though I turned in the problem set already! Two incidents this week:

  • While I was eating breakfast at 2D, someone asked for a sieve. My immediate first thought was "Selberg sieve or Brun sieve?" but I realized soon afterwards that she was referring to a kitchen utensil.
  • I overheard a grad student asking Professor Sarnak in the common room about a problem, and at one point, Sarnak asked "are you familiar with sieves?" I screamed out "I know how to do it!" across the room, and they turned around and stared at me. Sarnak then told the student "that young man can't solve this problem, but he can give you good upper bounds." And they went back to their discussion.

No comments:

Post a Comment